(PROJECT: ROAD INFRASTRUCTURE PROGRAMME SOMALIA)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICER/PROJECT ASSISTANT – (LOCAL)
- Project Background
The Federal Government of Somalia (hereinafter called Grant Recipient) has applied for financing from the African Development Bank (AfDB) and the European Union toward the cost of the Road Infrastructure Programme Somalia, and intends to apply a portion of the proceeds of the grant to eligible payments under the contract for the consultancy services for the Technical Assistant (TA) to the Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) in Somalia.
Road Infrastructure Programme Somalia has the strategic objectives to improve: (i) the management of the road sector at the national level through technical assistance and capacity building, and (ii) transport connectivity for road users through road rehabilitation and construction works.
The roads identified for intervention (in the Federal Member States of Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Jubaland and Puntland) are: (i) 82km (BeledWeyne-Kalabeyr 22km; and Dhusamareb-Qaradhi 60km) of the existing 327km, 7.3m wide BeledWeyne-Galkayo paved road, (ii) 85 km (Galkayo-Faratoyo) of the existing 240km, 7.3m wide Galkayo-Garowe paved road, (iii) existing 80km, 7.3m wide Luuq, Ganane-Dolow earth road, and (iv) 100 km, 7.3m wide Galkayo-Elgula (part of 241km Galkayo-Hobyo feeder road).
The MOPW&R, therefore, is seeking to recruit an experienced Administration Officer/Project Assistant who will support the MOPW&R in the preparation, supervision and monitoring of road and infrastructure related tasks, provide quality technical assistance as well as assist with capacity building and strengthening of the MOPW&R. The Administration Officer/Project Assistant will also assist the MOPW&R in the day-to-day project administration and management relating to road/infrastructure design and construction.
2. Overall purpose
The overall purpose is to contribute to the effective implementation of policies and programs/projects in Somalia through participation in the areas of policy dialogue, monitoring and supervision of infrastructure development in close collaboration with the national authorities, implementing/development partners and other stakeholders.
3. Job Summary
The Administration Officer/Project Assistant will be responsible for assisting with the delivery of the projects and for providing high quality administrative services to support the delivery of the activities of the MOPW&R project office. The Administration Officer/Project Assistant will support the MOPW&R in preparing their operating budget and work plans and provide administration expertise to the MOPW&R. He/She will ensure timely delivery of the activities set out in the Terms of Reference and also ensure alignment with the national priorities.
4. Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Professionally undertake general administrative duties for the overall day to day functioning of the office including producing, photocopying, scanning and filing correspondence and documentation as requested; answering telephone and welcoming visitors
- In consultations with the designated officer in the MOPW&R, review, modify (where appropriate) and monitor implementation of the project plan
- Work flexibly and collaboratively with other staff to ensure delivery of effective and efficient administration services to meet the needs of the organization
- Identify problems at a program level and collate information to develop appropriate responses, including implementation of solutions through Ensure that appropriate support is provided to projects, events and other activities as required
- Develop and maintain administration systems and procedures to ensure accountability in line with organizational policies and procedures
- Ensure data is entered accurately and in a timely manner into relevant information and reporting systems in accordance with organizational and funding requirements
- Maintain accurate and up to date registers of a variety of organizational and stakeholder information as required. Ensure that paper and electronic files and records are maintained in accordance with organizational requirements
- Work collaboratively with team members to provide administrative assistance and support as required across the range of projects and programs. Ensure that appropriate support is provided to projects, events and other activities as required
- Support development and up-to-date maintenance of project and programme information on the intranet website and in Implement and monitor documentation against standard operating procedures and policies
- Complete conference and travel bookings including flights and accommodation in accordance with organizational policies and procedures. Process financial tasks including procurement, receipting of goods
- Assist in maintaining effective operation of the office including reporting hazards, incidents and/or faulty equipment, services and ensuring amenities are clean and appropriately stocked
- Develop, maintain, monitor and operate filing systems (hard & soft copies), for scheme files, correspondence and documents. Monitor office supply of stationery, equipment and furniture
- Maintain record-keeping systems for recording and monitoring project and service processes and provide regular summary reports to officials and team to ensure that relevant updates and reviews take place in a timely fashion
- Attend meetings and organize, produce, and monitor production of all word-process minutes, reports, presentations, draft documentation of letters, reports, computer templates and office forms , and ensure the MOPW&R’s relevant standards are being applied
- Make written records of meetings ensuring key points are accurately minute to high standards of accuracy and presentation and approved papers are timely distributed
- Process and respond promptly to incoming communications (post, telephone, email, face to face), accurate message taking, copying and distributing information as necessary. Use electronic and manual filing systems with due regard to security and confidentiality
- Look up information to answer complex queries, including requests for information from in-house and external This could involve using internet, intranet and internal systems
- Maintain diaries, appointment systems, Organize meetings and events, ensuring that appointments are realistically planned with regard to timing and venue, catering and resources are booked appropriately, and preparing materials to support the event
- Participate in consultation/stakeholder workshops including consultation/stakeholder workshops to be held by Design Consultants and other
- Prepare work plan, inception report, monthly progress reports, quarterly progress reports, annual reports, etc. Prepare presentations, reports and briefs as required by the designated officer of the MOPW&R
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Inform the AfDB, EU Delegation and the Government of any event likely to affect or delay the progress of the project
- Report immediately to the Government, the Bank and the EU Delegation to Somalia any noted fraud and corruption or governance issues with staff, bidders and consultants
Skills and Qualifications
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A University Bachelor’s Degree or HNC or HND from a recognized university or institution and at least 6 years administrative work experience
- At least 2 years’ working in a developing country preferably in Africa
- Experience of inputting and retrieving data from ICT based record systems, information research, retrieval and collation using internet/web-based systems
- Ability to communicate complex issues effectively by telephone, in writing, by e-mail and in person
- Ability to produce accurate summaries of meetings, events and conversations
- Methodical and organized approach to Proven ability to work effectively to deadlines
- Able to deal with work of a confidential nature
- Have a strong sense of ownership of their work and attention to Deal with the public, consultants, contractors and other stakeholders
- Computer literacy in standard software such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access,
PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) is mandatory
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills (English Language)
- Ability to work and deliver results in an environment with multiple and challenging tasks
- High level of integrity, confidentiality in handling public resources, must be highly motivated, innovative and a committed team player
6. Reports and Deliverables
The deliverables and their timescales are specified below. All reports and deliverables shall be written in English Language and delivered in electronic copies (Word Format and PDF) and in four (4) hard copies: 1 hard copy each to MOPW&R, AfDB, EU Delegation to Somalia and the PCU (Project Coordinating Unit) Project Manager/Coordinator. The Reports will be reviewed by stakeholders.
Inception Report: outlining the approach and methodology and work plan to fulfil the Terms of Reference for the assignment. This will include a breakdown of work, timelines, risks, and an overview of stakeholders to be engaged during the assignment. The Inception Report shall be reviewed, discussed and agreed with the MOPW&R, AfDB and EU Delegation to Somalia and the PCU Project Manager/Coordinator.
Monthly Progress Reports: summarizing progress and key achievements in the reporting month; planned activities for the coming month; problems identified and solution proffered during the reporting period.
Quarterly Progress Reports: updating activity and staff schedule showing actual against planned progress and achievement of deliverables; description of work completed in the reporting period and planned activities for coming quarter; summary of issues addressed; identifying potential problems, delays, etc.
Annual Reports: outlining progress against agreed work plan, activities and outcomes, challenges, risks and options to mitigate them; update on costs, recommendations.
Mission Reports: addressing mission discussions, decisions reached and actions points.
Draft Final Report: detailing actual progress against original planned activities, inputs, key issues raised and addressed during the assignment; outstanding issues; lessons learned and recommendations.
Final Report: updating Draft Final Report by incorporating comments, feedback and suggestions from the stakeholders. The report should be complete with objectives, methodology, key findings, and recommendations with annexes of relevant information.
The Administration Officer/Project Assistant will work under the supervision and guidance of the designated officer in the MOPW&R and in collaboration with the PCU staff, AfDB Somalia team, EU Delegation to Somalia.
8. Duration of Assignment
The input of the Administration Officer/Project Assistant will be 36 person-months. An initial Contract will be issued for a period of one (1) year, with a probation period of six (6) months and may be extended for a period of one (1) year and renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance, budget availability and operational needs.
9. Services and Facilities to be Provided by the Client
The Client will be responsible for provision of the following:
- Office space equipped with access to Internet, local telephone line, printers, personal computer, photocopier, fax machines and document binding
- General office supplies, stationeries
- Access to necessary documents
The Administration Officer/Project Assistant’s remuneration will include their professional fees, accommodation, transport, medical fees, etc.
11. Duty Station
The Administration Officer/Project Assistant will be based in the MOPW&R, Mogadishu, Somalia and will be expected to travel frequently on missions within Somalia as may be required.
How to apply
- Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to:firstname.lastname@example.org, Closing date by 14th January, 2022 @12:00pm. Kindly indicate “Administration Officer/Project Assistant – MPWR Hirshabelle State Somalia” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidate is highly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.