Temporary Finance Officer – Mogadishu, Somalia
Somali Midwifery Association (SOMA) Is a Professional association, with a board of directors and volunteer staff, who has considerable expertise in running the association and working with civil society and health personnel. SOMA is an independent, non – profit association dedicated to bring maternal health system transformation from grass – roots level to a greater health care service. Its main mission is to advocate for all – round maternal health care services to Somali mothers, thus resulting to reduction of maternal mortality rate in the region.
Somalia has one of the highest maternal mortality rates in the world. The association prevails the ultimate objective of addressing and providing advice on the major challenges facing maternal health, midwifery and medical education, while supporting national and international collaborative initiatives and building a close communication with medical and health educational institutions and health sector authorities. SOMA intends to cover all regions of the Federal Government of Somalia, with an aim to promote and ensure quality midwifery service delivery to Somali mothers giving special focus to vulnerable groups and marginalized communities through the development of midwifery, in addition to its competency focus and efficient advocacy of the midwifery workforce that fosters better working conditions and equitable access to Quality midwifery services.
Job Title: Temporary Finance Officer (1 Position)
Reporting to: Finance Manager
Under the general supervision of Finance Manger, the Finance Officer follows the SOMA financial policies and procedures, is responsible for the income, expenditures and property of the office are well and are accounted for and for the keeping of proper and updated accounts of all financial and property transactions of the project.
Roles & Responsibilities for the Position:
- Prepares annual financial statements for submission to Management.
- Facilitates the auditing of accounts by internal and external auditors.
- Meet the deadlines set by the donors
- Perform monthly desk review of the Program financial document to ensure completeness of Supporting documents received for early spot of irregularity before recording in the system.
- Make sure, if the financial documents of all projects are prepared based on GAAP and followed the rules and regulation of SOMA.
- Involved in the preparation of annual budget proposal together with Finance Manager
- Acquaints himself/herself with the financial policies and procedures of SOMA.
- Reviewing, analyzing, adjusting and recording of all project’s financial transactions
- Reconciling of clearing accounts under Centralized Accounting system in order to
produce reliable and qualitative Financial Reports which is needed for internal and external users and responsible.
- In cooperation with the Finance Manager of SOMA organizes the accounting of the projects as per established guidelines.
- Administers and controls use of approved budget. Carries out budget utilization comparison periodically as per the directives thereon. Controls expenditures against budget.
- Checks appropriateness of requests for payment before passing for approval. Approves payments and signs checks as per the delegation thereon.
- Codes transaction documents and records entries in proper accounts.
- Prepares payroll and arranges timely payment of salaries.
- Controls cash and bank accounts, reconciles bank account with bank statement.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly financial statements.
- Check whether all the fixed assets of the organization are properly registered in the fixed asset master file.
- Performs the activities of the balancing and closing of accounts.
- Make sure that projects are utilized their budget for the intended activities within the Approved budget line. Follow, if all program sends their cash flow forecast and strictly followed & implemented their activities based on the approved budget.
- Make sure that payments are affected after getting the proper authorization of responsible official and verify, if all payments are completed within agreed timescales, and only when authorization is received as per the country scheme of delegation.
- Submit monthly accounting reports to Finance Manager (Cashbook, income register payment vouchers and supporting documentation, fees receipts and deposit slips)
- Able to use financial system for the organization
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Finance Manager.
Skills and Qualifications
- BA Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 2 years of relevant experience, preferably at INGO
- Computer and accounting software training
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem analysis and solving
- Team work
- Computer training
- Good communication skills
- Planning and organizing skills
- Detail orientation
- Report Writing skills
- Analytical skills
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email email@example.com indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date is 2nd November 2022.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
SOMA practices equal employment opportunity