1. Purpose of the Position
Support WHO Kismayo Sub office and the Field Security Officer (FSO) in gathering information, analyzing the overall security situation in his/her place of assignment; and make appropriate recommendations. Act as WHO Security Focal Point in Kismayo
The incumbent will provide a well-rounded and comprehensive logistics and operations support service; this includes the transport, customs clearance, delivery, storage, and management of material assets for the emergency preparedness, recovery, and response activities. Support the establishment of functional offices, housing and storage facilities at both national and subnational levels as required.
The incumbent will perform the following Security duties:
- In collaboration with WHO FSO and the UN Department of Safety & Security (UNDSS) in the area; evaluate and monitor existing security measures for the safeguarding of staff, visitors, WHO property and premises. Monitor adherence to UN Security Management System procedures and practice; identify gaps and recommend solutions and/or arrange for their improvement.
- Review and monitor the premises security where applicable. In addition to reviewing and monitoring the evacuation and fire safety plans for safeguarding staff and provide briefings on any new security measures and instructions.
- Support the operations and management of the Warden System, including overseeing the conduct of exercises and administer the Emergency Communications System.
- Participate in organizing and delivering security briefings and training courses on security awareness and preparedness in his/her area, also arrange for security briefings for newly appointed staff and visitors.
- Report security incidents affecting WHO staff, offices and assets and assist WHO FSO in investigations along with the preparation of security reports in a timely manner according to UNSMS guidelines.
- Attends security cell meetings and other security-related activities of UN in his/her area.
- Respond to staff security emergencies, provide general administrative assistance in the WHO Security Office, and perform other security-related duties as required.
- Establish and maintain effective relations, cooperation and liaison with local authorities and UN security cell members on issues of security.
- Maintains required databases such as updated guidelines, measures, standards and policies, staff lists, etc.
- Initiate and finalize action for security clearances for internal and external travel of security staff and visitors to the security section in a timely manner.
Operation and Logistic Support
- Facilitate customs clearance, reception, transportation, storage, and distribution of supplies to affected areas and populations.
- Oversee WHO warehouses and inventory; implement stock control mechanisms.
- Manage the WHE fleet, including planning and monitoring fleet movements, oversee the maintenance of vehicles.
- Contribute to the set-up of the health facilities supported by WHO and support related mobile/ ambulatory health activities.
- Ensure that water, sanitation, and infection control required activities are in place and up to standards for all health facilities supported by the WHO.
- Undertake regular field assessments to monitor supply management, stock movements and storage conditions.
- Monitor and report regularly to the IMS team, drawing their attention to needs, gaps and problems, and proposing remedial actions.
Skills and Qualifications
*2. Producing results
*4. Setting an example
*5. Knowing and managing yourself
4. Functional Knowledge and Skills
Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position
Excellent ability to work and deliver quality results in pressing situations and conflicting priorities. – Ability to effectively train and provide guidance to other staff. – Stress and time management skills with a good sense of urgency. – Knowledge of UN field security and logistic operations and policies is an asset.
Completion of secondary education supplemented by training in security management, logistics and procurement. Experience and knowledge of WHO Security, Logistics and functions would be an asset.
University degree with focus on security management, logistics and procurement, and/or business administration, international relations, social sciences, or related field is an asset.
At least eight years of relevant experience in security management operations with experience in logistics and procurement.
Relevant experience in the UN system.
Use of Language Skills
English Read, Write, Speak:
Somali Read, Write and Speak
How to apply
Your application should be sent to the below email address, please indicate the title of the position you have applied in the email subject by close of business Tuesday 10 January 2023. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.