Position Title: Interpreter: Amharic-Oromo-Somali Language
Position Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Reports to: Community Centre Officer (PCC).
Positions: 1 position
Diversity Action Network (DAN), previously known as Disability Action Network, was founded in 2002, as a nonprofit organization, to work toward a Horn of Africa society that is inclusive, and free from hunger, poverty, and injustice.
DAN is running a 1-year project, funded by UNHCR, on community-based protection (CBP) and Child Protection through community mobilization, community-self-management, child protection, and services to persons with specific needs for refugees, asylum seekers, and other persons of concern from January to December 2022.
Purpose of the Role: The role is about assisting the refugees, asylum seekers, and other persons of concern who do not speak or have a limited language level by ensuring that communication is effective and accurate through interpretation. This is a job role that will challenge your temperament, your ability to think on your feet, and your linguistic skills.
We are looking for a competent Interpreter to provide assistance to non-Somali speakers across a range of activities. The Interpreter will provide interpretation services during various processes, and make sight translations of documents.
- Acting as Interpreter between a wide range of people with diverse voices, accents, speaking tempos and personalities.
- Providing parties with clear and exact interpretations of verbal communicationandtranslations of written materials.
- Providing interpretations of questions, answers, statements, arguments, explanations and other forms of verbal communication.
- Rendering sight translations of documents and other written materials.
- Imparting thought, purpose, spirit, emotions and tone of speakers from source language into target language.
- Interpreting with no additions or omissions.
- Informing relevant parties of factors that may hinder your performance.
- Assisting completion of daily activity logs and other documentation.
- Complying with applicable ethics and standards.
- Carrying out any other tasks assigned by Project Manager.
Skills and Qualifications
- Be a Somaliland National (refugees and asylum seekers are not eligible to apply)
- Secondary School certificate (GCE) or suitable equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of interpretation/translation experience.
- Excellent bilingual communication skills, both verbal and written (Amharic-Oromo-Somali-English). The applicant should be proficient in all 4 languages.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Outstanding listening, retention, and note-taking skills.
- Proficient enunciation and pronunciation skills, and pleasant, professional voice.
- Proficient understanding of cultural sensitivity, and ability to collaborate with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Strong confidentiality skills.
How to apply
Submission of Applications: If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation and CVs (with 3 referees) by e-mail clearly stating the position title, in the subject line to: email@example.com before the 12th January 2022. Tel:063-4839386
DAN is an equal-opportunity employer. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an exam and interview.